Saturday, September 6, 2008

Church History Weekend!



This trip was such an incredible experience! There are too many pictures to post, but I created a Picasa album if you're interested. There were around 80 members of my ward that attended, plus the bishopric and their wives and a member of the stake presidency and his wife. We went to Indepence, Liberty Jail, Far West, Nauvoo, Carthage, Mt. Pisgah, and Winter Quarters. Here are the highlights:

Independence and Adam-ondi-Ahman:
  • Community of Christ Temple: We went on a tour and this was the hardest thing for me to hear. I think it may have been because, somewhere along the line, they had the fullness of the gospel and turned away from it. Also, the tour guide had a hard time articulating answers to the questions she was asked. It seems like they are more of a corporation and they prefer to push any responsibility and accountability to their congregations. She also said they were focused on peace and community building, but when asked what they do to build communities, she couldn't answer. Just my perception, but it was difficult.
  • Did you know that the Saints had to have a special recommend to even move to Independence? I didn't.
  • Adam-ondi-Ahman really is heaven on earth. The fact that we were able to visit right after a rainstorm probably added to the effect, but I loved the peaceful feeling there.
Nauvoo and Carthage:
  • My great-great-great-grandpa, Daniel Spencer, was the mayor of Nauvoo after Joseph was martyred. 
  • Carthage was such a moving experience for me. I don't have words for what I felt, but I do feel more connected to the early Saints and Joseph Smith because of my visit there. Thanks to Liz for letting me listen to Willard Richard's recounting of the event; it was such a good complement to everything I learned at the jail.
  • Walking the Trail of Hope to the Mississippi and looking across the river, knowing the Saints had no choice but to cross it in freezing cold weather made me realize that I have been asked to sacrifice nothing in comparison to them. I am so grateful for their sacrifices and what they have given me.
  • A couple that I grew up down the street from in Logan is serving a mission there. Very strange to run into them.
  • We were able to have our Sacrament Meeting in the groves in Nauvoo. Although there was a woodpecker having a good time drilling into a tree, the meeting was very special and we got to learn all sorts of things about the rebuilding of the Nauvoo temple (which is beautiful).
Mount Pisgah:
  • Settlement in Iowa for the Saints to rest at. The man who owns the land is not LDS, but wants to keep people visiting because of the historical importance of the site. It was very beautiful. 
  • We were fed by the local Methodist church. This was such a neat experience for me. First of all, it was the best meal we at the whole trip. Second, after we ate, we were able to go into their chapel, learn about their religion, and sing some songs with their priest. Once we were done singing with him, we sang "God Be With You Til We Meet Again"...and I lost it. These people did such a great service for us, and I was truly grateful and could really feel the spirit there.
Winter Quarters/Kanesville:
  • One of the guys in my ward hit on a sister missionary there.
  • The temple is beautiful. There is some incredible stained glass done there.
  • I was all by myself.
Other Highlights from the Trip:
  • The high jump in our room.
  • Craziness ensuing as soon as we hit the hotel room at night.
  • My flight home being moved four times, the last being 15 minutes later than the original departure. 
  • Having to go on the other bus the last day because of my dumb flight. I really missed everyone on my bus and was all by myself for the majority of the day.
  • Buffalo Cold - Being so cold, you would sleep inside a buffalo; dead or alive. This is how we felt most nights in our hotel rooms.
  • Fried Chicken Good - Basically sums up the food on the trip. We had three options for dinner most nights, and all of them were a gamble. The fried chicken actually ended up being the best bet.
I'm sure there are so many other things I am forgetting, but it's late. I loved the trip and am so glad I got the opportunity to go!

4 comments:

Lizzy said...

We should put it on a T-shirt!!

__________ THIS!


:)

Love ya!

Kim said...

We should put "We should put that on a t-shirt!" on a t-shirt! Seriously!

Megan said...

. . . I'd buy one :)

Lizzy said...

Hey, I forgot to say thanks for blogging this in order so I can remember for my blog and my journal what we did when. Tis a bit blurry! :)

and we still need to make a T-shirt!