Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Emotional Rollercoaster

"This has been the strangest week" - I wish I had a pulpit to say this over.

It's been quite a crazy week as far as emotions go for me and it's only Tuesday. It all started on Sunday night, when I went out on a blind date to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. I have never come home from a date feeling so horrible about myself. I felt intimidated and inadequate and like I had nothing to offer, so I was beginning to understand why no one would marry me.

This feeling drifted into Monday and a little bit today. But yesterday, as I was driving home, feeling like I was a totally lost cause, I started to think about my mom's request for her Christmas gift this year and I honestly became so overwhelmed with gratitude for my parents that I had to choke back tears. I know you all think you have the greatest parents, but I really do have the greatest parents. Never have I met anyone so caring and open and loving. My parents rock.

Then, today I was still thinking that I'm not worth a whole lot and work wasn't that great, which attributed to my thoughts. But then I came home to great roommates that made my day a little better. And then...I got a phone call. It was a guy on the other end. Apparently my sister had given my number to a friend in her ward to give to his brother in law, who I was now talking to. It turned out to be a pretty good conversation and I have a date with him this weekend!

Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about what is going on and my emotions are all over the place, but this post was mostly because I had to remember the incredible feeling of gratitude for my rocking parents and that not everyone in this world thinks I'm inadequate!!!

6 comments:

PapaBud said...

Don't worry Karen, I have always thought you were adequate.

Love,
Dad

Marin said...

So, the beginning line so reminds me of my home ward. Every fast and testimony meeting...
I hope things start getting better for you and remember, you can always call me if you want to talk.

Karen said...

I did that line just for you, Marin! I knew it would hit home. :)

Kim said...

If you have a week like this again, remember what always helps: mac & cheese and smut on TV. Works like a charm.

Mel said...

Holy Cow Kim...did you know that she ate an entire boc of Mac & Cheese by herself last night?

Anyway, you are welcome for passing your number on to some awesome guy I have yet to meet.

Megan said...

Just add some DC and I'm totally with Kim on this one.