Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Surprising Comments from the Peanut Gallery

I'm sitting here at my computer, needing to get some work done, but totally avoiding it because well, it's 10pm and even though I didn't really get the opportunity to get any real work done during "normal" work hours (let's be honest, I don't know what normal work hours really are), I can't will myself to think about work much more. 

The main reason for the lack of time to work is because I was in meetings from 8:30 to 2:30 today. I didn't actually sit down to my desk until 3:00pm. But to the title of my post. One of the executives of my firm is in Colorado and every week we have a "weekly review" meeting with all of the managers. Now, said executive is a New Yorker through and through. He is incredibly intimidating if you haven't had the opportunity to have a real conversation with him. Even after that, he's still intimidating because he'll call you on your crap. And it's even harder to be called out with a New York accent. 

So... (wow this is long-winded) one of the other executives is talking about how he likes information and details and gossip from the industry, because there's usually truth in gossip. To move the meeting along, one of my co-workers chimed in saying "If any of you have any gossip to report, you know where to email your information." Next thing you know, intimidating New Yorker executive, from the peanut gallery (i.e.: the phone at the conference table) says, "Well, I hear Brad and Angelina are having marital problems."

As I type this, I realize it might be for my own well-being to transition from work brain to sleep brain, rather than for your amusement. However, have you ever had someone you know always surprising you with comments you never expect to come out of their mouth? That's how I felt today.

And now, I quit work for the night. My apologies for the rambling.

No comments: