Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Civic Duty

This is the first year I've paid close attention to the presidential campaign. I truly appreciate the opportunity to vote this year. Although I have many concerns for the future of our country, I look forward to seeing what President Obama will do and how we, as citizens, can contribute. (Tangent: while I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the things Barack Obama has said, I have always respected the relationship he and his wife appear to have. They seem to be a true team and really love each other.)

I read an interesting article by Thomas L. Friedman today regarding the election and read another that said, "George W. Bush never once - not one time - challenged Americans to do anything hard, let alone great. The next president is not going to have that luxury." I have read a few other articles during the past couple of months regarding the turmoil in the financial markets and this is probably an unpopular thing for me to say (as she steps onto her soapbox) -the issues with our economy, our biggest concern at the moment, are not simply the making of the greed on Wall Street, but the greed of the American people. I work in the financial world. I've seen the difficulties that the market mess has created. I haven't been asked to sacrifice anything in comparison to those who have come before me, perhaps now is the time to do so. (Stepping down from soapbox now)

President Obama and those leaders elected today have difficult years ahead of them, but they have my prayers and support.

No comments: