Monday, March 2, 2009

Domesticity

I couldn't help but show off this cute picture my sis sent me today. I can only imagine the story she's telling. When you ask her a question, or she's telling a story, her eyes always veer off to the side like that. Makes you wonder if she's being completely honest...

I spent Friday night chillin' with my nephews while my brother and his wife celebrated their 10-year anniversary. As we watched a movie - one of my nephews cuddled up beside me, the other asleep on the LoveSac - I couldn't help but wonder, "Could I do this? Is this in any near future of mine?" I think I could do it, but that whole future thing is unclear right now.

Anyway, on to domesticity. When did everyone go getting all domestic on me? I'm reading posts from Marin about great homemade recipes for tortillas and salad dressing and then I see this from Mel! Don't get me wrong, I'm quite proud of everything these women are accomplishing, but it makes me feel like I'm missing a gene or something. I think the only thing domestic about me is that I like to have a clean, tidy house. And that's as far as I usually get. Sometimes I get the bug and bake something, but that's a rare occasion.

How does one get this domesticity gene? Can it be cultivated? And what motivates your cultivation?

1 comment:

Marin said...

I always wanted to know where my sisters got it because it seemed like once they got married they got all crafty and homemakey (I don't think that's a word). I think that the only reason I'm like that right now is I have nothing better to do during the day than think of things to try and make.